Saturday 22 September 2012

The next days in Washington

Joined the Hop On Hop Off Bus again.  We got on to the Yellow Line again and drove through Georgetown and then to the Harbour to do a boat ride on the Potomic River.  There was a group there called the Wounded Warriers and a lady came up to speak to us about it. It was set up to help rehabilitate wounded military personnel.  This particular section was all about kyaking and they had a fundraising function going on.  This lady was great to talk to, she was ex Navy and had got involved to give something back.  It was very interesting...maybe Sully could do that and get us to Brazil 2016???????
We tried to get on the boat but it was one of the few things that did not have wheelchair access.  There a group of Amish people on board who offered to help (one even said if he could lift his wife he could lift Sully....sounded like an Australian sense of humour to me) but Sully was not really interested in the boat ride so I went off on my own.





After that we decided to split up as Sully wanted to go to the Mall and the Smithsonian Museum of Air and Space and I wanted to go to the Lincoln Memorial and Arlington Cemetery.  It turned out that the Lincoln Memorial was wheelchair accessible and I was very impressed with the whole building.  Martin Luther King made his "I have a dream" speech from the top of the stairs and in front is the pool where Forrest Gump found his Jenny in the middle of a protest.  You look down from the steps to the Capital Building and the Washington Monument...very impressive.  From there I went to Arlington Cemetery where JFK and family are buried.  There are also about 400000 military and Public Service personnel buried there - they average 25 funerals a day.  It is very soberting to hear the guns firing.  I did a tour in the Cemetery and it was very informative.  The tour was wheelchair accessible.  Went to JFK section and the tomb of the Unknown Soldier and Arlington House which is at the top and the home of Robert E Lee.  I did not think I would enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment